Communications and Marketing DirectorApply for this job
Location: Cambridge, MA
Solve is a new initiative from MIT aimed at developing and implementing real and lasting solutions to the world’s greatest challenges—from education and health to energy and inequality.
Joining the Solve team offers the chance to play a leading role in defining this cutting-edge and diverse community. Solve brings together technologists and researchers, social entrepreneurs and business leaders, policy makers, change agents, and activists, from across the globe to work on specific actionable challenges. Solve then creates partnerships to fund and implement the best solutions.
The Communications Director will be responsible for developing the strategy for Solve’s external public relations, building the Solve brand, and growing and engaging the Solve community. The Communications Director will report directly to Solve’s Executive Director and be part an integral member of Solve’s leadership team. The Director will oversee a team of 2-3 full time staff and vendors/contractors.
This is a full-time position, located in Cambridge, MA.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
- Work with Executive Director and other stakeholders to set strategy for Solve’s external relations and communications
- Develop and maintain Solve’s messaging calendar across traditional press, marketing, digital media, and community outreach
- Build messaging guidance and guidelines for Solve, Solve’s vision, Solve’s voice, and Solve’s staff
- Build and manage media partnerships with major print, TV, and digital media outlets including Solve’s existing media partners – Forbes, Axios, and VICE Impact
- Build and oversee a press list (local, national, and international) and press relationships targeted to Solve’s community and challenges
- Write, edit, and/or oversee writing of press releases, story pitches, op-eds, talking points, and interview guidance
- Train Solve staff in interview and media relations
- Manage press and interview inquiries for Solve
- Oversee website and social media content production
- Negotiate any future website features, updates, and contracts
- Oversee website feature updates as needed
- Oversee social media influencer strategy
Marketing and Branding
- Build and manage marketing partnerships with Solve members and other relevant stakeholders to promote Solve’s brand, Solvers, and future Solve partnerships
- Develop content and marketing strategy across platforms, for events, and for specific Solve audiences
- Write, edit, and/or oversee all content collateral production for marketing language and design
- Keep Solve branding up to date including guidelines, logos, and core marketing
- Oversee design of all signage and collateral in line with branding guidelines
- Write edit, and/or oversee writing of content as needed
Management and Oversight
- Set timelines and requirements for communications, branding, marketing, media and digital assets, and oversee delivery of all materials with very high standard of excellence
- Work collaboratively with MIT Technology Review departments including Marketing, Art, Product Development, and Editorial for materials that require input or support
- Liaise with communications and media teams across the MIT community o Recruit members of the communications and digital team o Oversee staff, consultants, and any outside providers o Negotiate consultant and outside provider contracts
- Manage communications, branding, content, marketing, and digital budget
Supervision received from the Executive Director, Solve
Supervision over the communications and digital staff (2-3 full time staff in FY18), both internally and for outside contractors
MINIMUM REQUIRED SKILLS
- Minimum 8 years’ experience spanning spanning communications, press, marketing, and digital
- At least 2 years’ experience managing staff and consultants and overseeing third party providers
- Experience in start-up and/or social impact environment preferred
- Proven ability to lead communications content strategy for traditional press and digital
- Proven ability to pitch and place articles in traditional press and media
- Proven ability to effectively manage vendor relationships and meet budget goals
- Highly developed organizational skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and handle projects simultaneously
- Ability to prioritize and plan work in an efficient manner to meet deadlines
- Must be flexible and able to work independently, take initiative, and anticipate needs
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred
MIT offers an intellectually charged, creative work environment with competitive compensation and benefits through MIT.
** To comply with regulations by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), the principal duties in job descriptions must be essential to the job. To identify essential functions, focus on the purpose and the result of the duties rather than the manner in which they are performed. The following definition applies: a job function is essential if removal of that function would fundamentally change the job.
To apply: Please visit web.mit.edu/jobs, reference #14862. No phone calls or recruiters.Apply for this job