Director, Marketing & CommunicationsApply for this job
Location: Remote/Cambridge, MA
Solve is an initiative of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) with a mission to solve world challenges. Solve is a marketplace for social impact innovation. Through open innovation Challenges, Solve finds incredible tech-based social entrepreneurs all around the world. Solve then brings together MIT’s innovation ecosystem and a community of Members to fund and support these entrepreneurs to help them drive lasting, transformational impact. Join Solve on this journey at solve.mit.edu.
Joining the Solve team as the Marketing and Communications Director offers a unique opportunity to become a leading voice in the social impact convening space. You’d be leading a team of five full-time staff and multiple vendors to define and shape the voice of MIT Solve. You’d be joining an entrepreneurial team supporting social entrepreneurs and social impact leaders globally.
The Marketing and Communications Director will have a highly impactful leadership role in developing Solve’s strategy for market positioning, messaging, and lead generation, helping expand Solve’s reach and grow Solve’s funders base across multiple industries and sectors. The Marketing and Communications Director will report to Solve’s Managing Director and will be a member of Solve’s Leadership Team. The Director will oversee a team of full time staff focused on digital marketing, content and communication, platform and technology -- in addition to interns and vendors/contractors.
The ideal candidate would have a strong grasp of current marketing tools and strategies and be able to lead integrated digital marketing campaigns across Solve’s various product lines and programs, from concept to execution, on time and on budget to engage, inform, and motivate audiences to take part in Solve’s mission.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
- Leads execution of broad communication/marketing activities for Solve.
- Implements communications with full ownership and accountability of this function over Solve.
- Set a cohesive strategy for Solve’s overall positioning across marketing, digital media, public relations, and community outreach, with the aim to widen Solve’s brand and build a pipeline of qualified leads that would make up the Solve community of Members, Partners, Sponsors, and social entrepreneurs.
- Drive lead generation through SEO, content optimization, lead nurturing, paid ad management, landing pages, email marketing and content creation. Brainstorm new and creative growth strategies, advise on value proposition and positioning, for lead generation and conversion with the appropriate team members across Solve. Contribute to identifying critical conversion points and drop-off points and help optimize funnels.
- Conceptualize and lead the execution of all digital efforts, including email campaigns, Solve’s website, and social media to identify, build, and segment, audiences, creating a social movement that finds and supports Solver teams who are solving global Challenges. This includes SEO/SEM, marketing database, email, social, newsletter subscribers, platform users, and website visitors, new leads that build Solve’s Membership base as well as custom challenge clients.
- Track the performance of all digital marketing activities and assess against goals (ROI and OKRs), report and adjust strategy accordingly. Develop, oversee and measure experiments and conversion tests, including creation of landing pages. Lead cross-organizational marketing efforts, including email and social media, to support Solve’s Community and Partnerships teams in generating relevant leads, to support them in building and maintaining Solve’s membership and sponsorship base
- Elevate awareness of Solve’s brand through the capture, development and promotion of stories that illustrate its impact. Oversee Solve’s branding guidelines, maintain a coherent branding across Solve’s product lines such as Custom Challenges and Solve Innovation Future.
- Work with Solve leadership to build thought leadership opportunities and position Solve as a leading voice on key social impact issues.
- Oversee Solve’s public relations and communications functions as well as content, and deliver consistent high quality earned media coverage for Solve and Solver teams
- Management and oversight:
- Recruit, mentor, and manage a team of up to five marketing and communications professionals to execute a world class marketing function that supports the entire organization
- Provide oversight for end-to-end marketing execution to ensure quality and timeliness. Develop best practices and processes for communications, branding, marketing, media and digital assets, and oversee delivery of all materials with a high standard of excellence
- Liaise with communications teams across the MIT community
Working with minimal supervision, reports to the Managing Director, Solve.
Supervises five full time Marketing and Communications staff, as well as consultants and outside vendors and contractors as needed.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Minimum 7 years’ experience spanning digital marketing with proven track record managing staff and overseeing third party providers and website management. Demonstrable experience with digital marketing and digital analytics- ideally in a sales-driven organization
- Highly creative, naturally curious with excellent critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- A proactive leader who organically develops quality relationships with colleagues, questions status quo to drive improvements and changes, and expertly drives cross-team collaborations to meet our mission goals
- Demonstrated ability to develop a vision, strategy, and plan to get there. Ability to inspire and motivate a team
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred
To apply: Please visit web.mit.edu/jobs, reference #19822-11. No phone calls or recruiters, please.Apply for this job