Events Program DirectorApply for this job
Location: Remote/Cambridge, MA
Solve is an initiative of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) with a mission to solve world challenges. Solve is a marketplace for social impact innovation. Through open innovation Challenges, Solve finds incredible tech-based social entrepreneurs all around the world. Solve then brings together MIT’s innovation ecosystem and a community of Members to fund and support these entrepreneurs to help them drive lasting, transformational impact. Join Solve on this journey at solve.mit.edu.
Joining the Solve team offers a unique change to join an entrepreneurial team to drive innovation to solve world challenges and support social entrepreneurs and social impact leaders in advancing their work.
The Events Program Director will conceptualize and oversee the planning and execution of Solve’s main year-round events which convene hundreds of social impact leaders. This includes the annual flagship virtual and in-person events: Solve Challenge Finals (pitch event), Solve at MIT (major convening on MIT campus), Indigenous Communities Summit (with and for Indigenous Peoples in the US), and Solv[ED] Solutions Event (targeting young people 24 years and under). The Events Program Director may also oversee other events throughout the year. The Events Program Director will determine Solve’s overall event strategy and vision as well as oversee content, operations, technology, and production.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
- Lead the conceptualization, design, and delivery of world-class virtual, hybrid, and in-person events while adhering to predetermined budgets
- Lead a team of up to 3 full-time events staff at Solve, including Content Producer, Event Operations Officer, and Events Coordinator
- Conceptualize and deliver events that successfully tell the story of Solve’s mission and impact, overseeing the creative direction of scripting, content, and the narrative arc of programming throughout and within segments --including stage, video, virtual, and on-site elements
- Oversee all other aspects of Solve events - invitation and registration, production, catering, travel, venues and operations on- and off-site
- Negotiate contracts with and oversee dozens of vendors throughout the year for each event to consistently produce high-quality seamlessly executed global events
- Consistently improve Solve’s overall event experiences for Solve’s Community of Members and social entrepreneurs to help fulfill Solve’s mission to solve world challenges and position Solve as a leader in social impact.
Management and oversight
- Mentor and effectively manage Events team staff
- Working with the Content Producer, guide and work with Community Team, and other key programming-related staff at Solve to ensure their content, logistics and production needs are met. Collaborate with other teams as needed e.g. on specialized fundraising dinners and receptions
- Ensure Solve’s community and relevant stakeholders are engaged in Solve’s events: oversee invitation and communication with speakers and attendees pre-, during and post-event, including invitation, registration, virtual event platforms, and surveys, liaising with relevant staff at Solve based on key relationships
- Ensure Solve events have high quality, diverse speakers who are well-prepared for their participation, and create leading social impact content: oversee all communications with, briefings with, and processes for speakers
- Work with the MIT President’s Office to engage MIT’s President effectively during Solve at MIT and other events
- Oversee data tracking processes for events, invitations, registration, sessions, and speakers
- Negotiate and execute event related vendor contracts, e.g. production, video, catering, transportation, hotel blocks, etc, including processes around contracting and payment
- Oversee the development and communication of Master Production Schedule, event staffing plan and other processes
- Oversee good use of event softwares across the team, such as Eventbrite, Hopin, and relevant Salesforce activities
- Develop and adhere to event budgets
Supervision received from Managing Director.
Supervise a full time staff, as well as event consultants and vendors, and department event staff for event-related tasks.
Qualifications & Skills:
- A self-starter with minimum 5 years’ experience in project management, with at least 4 years’ experience in event management or production
- Proven ability to deliver high quality, complex events, in person, hybrid and virtually, preferably with a focus on social and environmental impact
- Proven success managing multiple projects, simultaneously
- Capable cross-departmental collaborator who can inspire and motivate a team to help deliver top tier events
- Fantastic communication skills and sharp problem-solving abilities. A solution-oriented style of working, and the capacity to identify and solve problems before they become issues
- The capacity to maintain a calm and positive demeanor in the midst of a fast-paced production environment
- A team-player who loves collaborating in a group, thrives in a creative setting, and feels passionately about working with our team to further Solve’s mission
- Experience with a variety of digital media workflows and post production workflows for live and virtual events
- Willingness to contribute however possible to ensure overall effectiveness of the team
To apply: Please visit web.mit.edu/jobs, reference #19824-10. No phone calls or recruiters, please.Apply for this job