Learning Community DirectorApply for this job
Location: Cambridge, MA
Solve is a new initiative from MIT aimed at developing and implementing real and lasting solutions to the world’s greatest challenges— from education and health to energy and inequality.
Solve brings together technologists and researchers, social entrepreneurs and business leaders, policy makers, change agents, and activists, from across the globe to work on specific actionable challenges. Solve then creates partnerships to fund and implement the best solutions. Joining the Solve team offers the chance to play a leading role in defining this cutting-edge and diverse community.
To achieve its mission, a significant part of Solve’s work centers around hosting open competitions across four pillars – Learning, Health, Sustainability and Economic Prosperity. Anyone can participate in a Solve challenge and submit a solution. If a participant’s idea has the potential for impact, they will be invited to one of our Solve events to pitch their idea, with the chance to receive support from Solve and its partners, and participate in our flagship Solve at MIT event scheduled for May 2017.
Solve is seeking experienced leaders to fill two (2) Pillar Community Director positions:
- Learning Community Director (focused on education solutions)
- Sustainability Community Director (focused on energy, food, water and climate solutions)
The Pillar Community Directors, Solve, will play a key role in supporting the Executive Director to set up this new initiative within MIT. They will notably spearhead the development of Solve’s community, recruiting exceptional leaders from the private, public, non-profit and academic leaders whose expertise and interests align with the Learning and Sustainability pillar. Working hand in hand with MIT faculty and external advisors, they will design new challenges and manage existing ones, program pillar-specific events, and support Solvers through incubation, mentorship, and partnership brokering.
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual who is not afraid to roll up their sleeves and build a movement to address the biggest issues of our time. This is a full-time position, located in Cambridge, MA, and the Pillar Community Directors, Solve will report to the Executive Director, Solve.
- Overall strategy
- Work with Executive Director and other stakeholders to design pillar-specific strategy and new challenges, as well as outreach strategy to ensure success
- Management and oversight
- Set timelines and requirements for challenges, and oversee challenges from crowdsourcing and incubation to partnerships with very high standard of excellence
- Work collaboratively with MIT faculty, Content and Digital Director and MIT Technology Review departments including Editorial for materials that require input or support
- Oversee staff and consultants as needed
- Solve Community – Recruitment and Relations
- Using their extensive network and research, build and recruit a community of excellent, diverse, cross-sector, cross-geography leaders within the Learning, Health, Sustainability or Economic Prosperity pillars
- Oversee and manage all relations with Solve Community for specific pillar
- Recruit and manage relations with advisors and challenge leaders for each Solve challenge which will form the core ‘steering committee’ for each challenge
- Program pillar-specific events that bring together the community physically and virtually to support Solvers and solve the challenges.
- Support Director of Partnerships as needed to source potential sponsors and partners for “Solve at X” and “Solve at MIT” events
- Solve challenges
- Working with a designated challenge leader per challenge, a group of advisors, and the broader MIT faculty, define each year the core challenge(s) for the pillar the Pillar Community Director is responsible for
- Promote new and existing challenges across the Solve Community and extensive networks for targeted outreach to reach the best potential Solvers
- Partnership development
- With Executive Director and other Community Director, design incubation and support process for Solvers, identifying and sourcing in-kind partners to deliver process as needed
- Support Solvers throughout challenge process and after they are selected through mentorship, incubation, trainings as required to support the refinement and/or prototyping of solutions
- Broker introductions between Solvers and Solve Community leaders and create partnerships to ensure piloting, funding and implementation of solutions
- Oversee tracking of progress on partnerships annually
- Thought leadership
- Serve as the in-house expert on specific Pillar
- Participate in conferences, write op-eds and spearhead other activities to position Solve as a thought leader in the social impact space
MINIMUM REQUIRED SKILLS
- Minimum 8 years’ experience, with at least 3 years’ experience in the relevant pillar – Learning or Sustainability
- At least 2 years’ experience managing relationships and partnerships with high level stakeholders
- Highly developed organizational skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment, handling multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to prioritize and plan work in an efficient manner to meet deadlines
- Must be flexible and able to work independently, take initiative and anticipate needs
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in relevant area preferred
MIT offers an intellectually charged, creative work environment with competitive compensation and benefits through MIT.
To apply: Please visit web.mit.edu/jobs, reference #13961. No phone calls or recruiters, please.Apply for this job