Officer, Events OperationsApply for this job
Location: Remote/Cambridge, MA
Solve is an initiative of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) with a mission to solve world challenges. Solve is a marketplace for social impact innovation. Through open innovation Challenges, Solve finds incredible tech-based social entrepreneurs all around the world. Solve then brings together MIT’s innovation ecosystem and a community of Members to fund and support these entrepreneurs to help them drive lasting, transformational impact.
Joining the Solve team as the Events Operations Officer offers a unique opportunity to work as a leading voice in the social impact convening space. You’d be responsible for delivering outstanding multi-day flagship events bringing together hundreds of the foremost social impact leaders - Solve at MIT, Solve Challenge Finals, the Indigenous Innovators Summit, the Solv[ED] Solutions Summit, and more. You’d also be joining an entrepreneurial team supporting social entrepreneurs and social impact leaders globally. This position reports to the Director, Events Program.
The Events Operations Officer will lead the operations for and implementation of all Solve’s year-round events. The Officer is responsible for delivering outstanding multi-day flagship events bringing together hundreds of the foremost social impact leaders - Solve at MIT, Solve Challenge Finals, the Indigenous Innovators Summit, the Solv[ED] Solutions Summit, and more. The Officer will determine Solve’s event operations, specifically as it relates to event logistics, production, vendor managements, and budget with guidance from the Director, Events Program.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
- Lead the conceptualization, design, budgeting, and execution of event operations to deliver world-class live, in-person, virtual and hybrid experiences while adhering to approved budgets.
- Ensure smooth delivery of all events through strong internal communication; run as coordination point between internal team and vendors, coordinating processes and meetings with internal stakeholders, external vendors and clients as needed.
- Design virtual experiences that engage and delight participants, leveraging a variety of technology platforms as necessary. Anticipate, identify and resolve technical problems.
- Develop and improve processes for the smooth delivery of successful events including: run of shows, event staffing plans, Master Production Schedules, and other work-plans for multi-venue campus event activities in person, virtual or hybrid.
- Work with producers and technical team to develop production and recording plans, adhering to an integrated visual look & feel into content, design, etc.
- Select and tend vendors, including production partners, hotels, venues, transportation, and caterers. Drive and coordinate on-site event logistics including vendor and volunteer management
- Develop and manage event budgets. Manage processes around contracting and payment for external vendors
- Contribute to consistently improving Solve’s overall event experiences for Solve’s Community of Members and social entrepreneurs to help fulfill Solve’s mission to solve world challenges, employing a data driven approach to surveying constituencies
- Work with Content Producer and other departments to ensure their logistics and production needs are met. Support teams across Solve on special fundraising activities such as sponsorship dinners and receptions
- Oversee with Coordinator proper processes around invitation and communication with attendees pre-, during and post-event, including invitation, registration, virtual event platforms, and surveys, liaising with relevant staff at Solve based on key relationships
- Manage event software and relevant Salesforce activities
- Develop and manage data tracking processes for events, sessions, and speakers. Report to all concerned parties frequently.
- Support Events Program Director and Content Producer on ad-hoc projects, as needed
Qualifications & Skills:
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in project management, with at least 2 years’ experience in event management, including deep working knowledge of production guidelines and procedures and experience producing both in-person and virtual experiences.
- Comfortable with digital environments and have a proven track record of creating high quality virtual events utilizing various technology platforms.
- Experience in producing high quality, complex, multi-venue 500+ person events, preferably focused on social and environmental impact
- Proven ability to effectively build relations with key internal and external stakeholders including production, facilities, catering, and other vendors
- Proven ability to effectively manage vendor relationships and meet budget goals
- The highest level of skill in detailed planning, time management, and organization, with ability to prioritize and execute work in an efficient manner to meet deadlines
- Flexible and able to work independently, take initiative and anticipate needs
- Confident decision maker with strong judgment and strong communications skills
- Experience with digital media workflows and post production workflows for live and virtual events
- Experience with talent, unions and guilds and awareness of producers, production companies, agents, and other industry players preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree
As an MIT Solve employee, you are eligible for a number of benefits, perks, and discounts, including:
- $50/month cell phone bill reimbursement
- Transportation: Free, unlimited subway and local bus use, and subsidies for MBTA station parking and the commuter rail; Subsidized annual BlueBikes membership ($40, regularly $99); MIT Bicycle Commuter Reimbursement Program (up to $300/year)
- Free access: Institute of Contemporary Art, Museum of Fine Arts, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, and more
- Tuition assistance: Up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible employees
- Time Off: 12 paid holidays and special Institute holidays (including Juneteeth and Patriots’ Day). 3 weeks of paid vacation your first year; 4 weeks after your first year
- Retirement: MIT Pension Plan with full vesting after 3 years; MIT will match up to 5% of your pay in contributions to the 401(k) Plan
- Healthcare: comprehensive healthcare coverage, including fitness reimbursements through enrollment in an MIT medical plan and a number of free counseling sessions through MIT MyLife Services
This is a full-time position. While the team is currently working entirely remotely, starting this fall Solve team members will generally be expected to spend some days each week in-person in Cambridge, MA.
MIT Solve is committed to inclusion and diversity to build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more diverse our team is, the better we can achieve our mission of solving world challenges.
MIT is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.
To apply: Please visit web.mit.edu/jobs, reference #19923-7. No phone calls or recruiters, please.Apply for this job