One-line solution summary:
Our solution is to design a Chatbot to strengthen parents’ engagement and participation with their children's education in Northern Brazil.
Which Challenge does your solution most closely address?Equitable Classrooms: How can all young learners have access to quality, safe, and equitable learning environments?
Pitch your solution.
<<Thank you for considering that we are a newly formed team, and this is the solution we have worked on in 1 day. >>
Parents’ participation and engagement in their children’s education is one of the main predictors of academic success. However, inequalities of information access result in that many parents cannot fully engage in their children education thus compromising their academic success. Some barriers to parental engagement include: linguistic competences, cultural differences, and parental perceptions about their role within the school community and the educational process. But also the lack of safe, and user friendly digital tools to allow parents to engage and participate in the education of their children.The Chat Bot aims at fostering parental engagement of young learners, offering reliable information about:
1. Learning resources, curricula quizzes.
2. Engaging with other parents asynchronically, and planning meetings and events to interact safely.
3.Accessing information of students learning standards and learning outcomes per grade level age.
4. Child development
If we create friendly channels for communication and empower parents by giving information, coaching and affirmations, we create BONDS between schools and families and increase parental engagement and support children learning.
In what city, town, or region is your solution team headquartered?São Paulo, State of São Paulo, Brazil
Our solution's stage of development:Concept
Is this a new solution, an existing solution, or an adaptation of an existing solution?Adaptation of an existing solution
How does your solution incorporate research?
Research shows that Parents’ participation and engagement in their children’s education is one of the main predictors of academic success.
A growing body of evidence (1) suggests that Chatbots have the potential to change the way students learn and search for information. Especially in large-scale learning scenarios with more than 100 students per lecturer, chatbots are able to solve the problem of individual student support. However, until now, there has been no systematic, structured overview of their use in education.
- AprileD.Benner,AlainaE.Boyle,andSydneySadler.2016.ParentalInvolvement and Adolescents’Educational Success: The Roles of Prior Achievement and Socioeconomic Status. Journal of Youth and Adolescence 45, 6 (2016), 1053–1064.
- United States Census Bureau. 2015. Educational Attainment in the United States: 2015. https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2016/ demo/p20- 578.pdf
- United States Census Bureau. 2015. FFF: Hispanic Heritage Month 2015. http: //www.census.gov/newsroom/facts-for-features/2015/cb15-ff18.html
- G. P. Carreon, C. Drake, and a. C. Barton. 2005. The Importance of Presence: Immigrant Parents’ School Engagement Experiences. American Educational Research Journal 42, 3 (2005), 465–498.
- RosarioCeballo,LauraKMaurizi,GloriaaSuarez,andMariaTAretakis.2014. Gift and sacrifice: parental involvement in Latino adolescents’ education. Cultural diversity & ethnic minority psychology 20, 1 (2014), 116–27.
Who is the Team Lead for your solution?