Women & Technology



Connecting remotely located female doctors with patients in Pakistan

Team Lead

Asher Hasan

Katie Rae

In response to Why our solution is human-centered:

It'd be great to hear more about this - do the female doctors you are trying to employ need to be at home, and therefore telemedicine is required? Or, could they also be employed directly at the frontline?

Dr Asher Hasan

Hello Again Katie - the vast majority (~90%) of the female doctors we employ are home-based. By reintegrating them into the health workforce by leveraging technology, we are creating a more agile workforce and changing the narrative around working from home ( an increasing number of workers in industrialized nations are also choosing a more flexible option of working from home). Employment at the frontline (remote areas, urban slums, factories, retail venues, corporate offices) for these female doctors is usually impossible due to the sociocultural barriers mentioned above.

Katie Rae

In response to Why our solution is unique:

I think it is unclear - are the frontline health-workers the underutilized female doctors, or are they separate and connect via telemedicine to the female doctors?

Dr Asher Hasan

Our use of the term 'frontline health workers' refers to locally-based nurses, midwives and community health promoters (CHPs) who engage physically with the patient/health consumer and use online technology to connect patients/health consumers to remotely-located (home-based) female doctors. Prior to the introduction of doctHERs, these fronline health workers were also underutilized/under-compensated because there was insufficient paid demand for their services. By linking our digital healthcare delivery model to a sustainable health financing mechanism (digital health and wellness plans for workers (and their families) in corporate value chains (e.g. small holder suppliers, distributors, retailers, etc) we are creating sustainable, scalable demand for the services of both (low-income) frontline workers (thus increasing their incomes) and remotely-located female doctors.

Katie Rae

In response to The problem:

Would like to hear a little bit more about why these medical school graduates aren't participating in the workforce. Is it sociocultural AND geographical, or more so cultural/family obligations?

Dr Asher Hasan

Hi Katie - thanks for your question; In ~80% of the thousands of cases we've studied - the constraints to workforce participation for these female doctors are socio-cultural and conventional health systems have not adapted fast enough to accommodate their unmet needs; the remaining ~20% of the cases of workforce non-participation are voluntary (and usually transitory) - women who choose to take some time off for a variety of reasons (including parental care, etc).

to Top