Our solution's stage of development:Growth
BagoSphere provides a faster, smarter way for disconnected youth to get good jobs, by equipping them with in-demand skills to enter growing industries.
Global Youth Unemployment:
- 75 million young people unemployed and 3x as many underemployed
- 40% of employers say a skills shortage is driving entry-level vacancies.
In the Philippines, there are few effective ways for low-income youth to develop skills that companies need.
- 70% of high school graduates do not go to higher education
- College is failing. 40% of those who go to college would dropout, and of
- 500,000 college graduates annually there are huge job mismatches.
Why our solution will solve the problem:
Core idea: Building the ‘last mile’ in education
- BagoSphere deconstructs what employers need
- Run immersive, experiential training programs and
- Connects students directly with employers; simplifying the experience from enrolment to being hired.
Since 2013, BagoSphere has graduated over 900 graduates, of which 85% have been hired despite having zero or little work experience. Most of BagoSphere’s students are public high school graduates and would not have the opportunity to go to college. BagoSphere's model pipelines new sources of talents to some of the world’s top outsourcing companies.
Our target outcomes:
The outcomes we hope to achieve for low-income, disadvantaged youth:
- 80-85% job placement rate
- 85% of graduates placed remain employed 3 months after graduation
- Graduates earn about US$200-250, twice minimum wage
- 2x higher income than before BagoSphere
How we will measure our progress:
The populations we will benefit initially:
The countries we will benefit initially:
The technologies we employ:
Why our solution is unique:
- Intellectual Property: BagoSphere’s proprietary blended curriculum is built with best practices in adult learning, task-based approach and from a deep understanding of deconstructing the job requirements.
- Recurring annual agreements with employers: BagoSphere has built a deep set of relationships with employers with recurring annual agreements
- Unique operating model: By using underutilized spaces, BagoSphere gains an advantage with much lower overheads. To improve cash flow and secure sustainability, BagoSphere has strategic alliances with microfinance to develop innovative student loan programs.
- Strong integration of student experiences: BagoSphere has done this by developing key partnerships from recruitment to employment.
Why our solution is human-centered:
The "job to be done" is to get the students into a good paying, entry level job as soon as possible. That is what the BagoSphere model focuses on.
The current education to employment journey does not work, and the reason is that there is no strong integration between education and work- that's why we see big problems with unemployment.
We believe to get the job done effectively we need to use a combination of "technology" and "human power" to integrate the different components together.
How people will access our solution:
Our solution is deployed in learning centers, in partnership with schools and local governments with under-utilised spaces. This is a unique operating model which reduces overheads and keeps the costs affordable for the students.
To make it more accessible, BagoSphere has deployed a unique risk-sharing "study now pay later" financing program with partners such as micro-finance NGOs and KIVA. About 98% of our students enter BagoSphere with financial aid. We believe that affordable tuition loans means that the student gains accountability as an "owner" instead of a scholarship.
Technology-Readiness Level:4-5 (Prototyping)
Where we are located:
How we will sustain our team financially:
We have a successful model implemented in 2 cities in rural Philippines. The main spread strategies are:
Firstly, expand direct services to 1,000 students in 2-3 new locations in the Philippines to gain traction, learn and breakeven financially.
Meanwhile, we will integrate further and build new programs into (1) senior high schools markets and (2) advanced IT skills such as data analytics to prepare for the maturing of the IT outsourcing market and incoming wave of automation/machines.
Secondly, set up a teaching college to train teachers and provide supplementary skills so that they can run BagoSphere programs.
Thirdly, licensing and sharing the curriculum to NGOs, schools and community colleges. This could be in the form of capacity building and creating the ecosystem to spread the idea of “last mile” education.
The factors limiting our success:
- We need to start from the Employers: The ability to then work with employers to pre-confirm vacancies, and commit to interview
- Training Providers and Employers actively step into each other's world: Sharing data, practices and designing training programs based on critical gaps in performance
- Selling to Labour Market/Beneficiaries: branding recognition and quality of the programs
- Regulation: Working with governments to make it easier to operate innovative models with unique curriculum and payment models
How long we have been working on our solution:4 years
How long it will take to develop a pilot:We have already developed a pilot.
How long it will take to scale beyond our pilot:12-18 months
Our expected annual budget:
How much of our budget we've secured to date:
We're looking for partners in these fields:
Why we're applying to Solve:
We are looking for people in the Solver community who have experience in:
- Education solutions and technologies to partner and deploy in our learning centers
- Financial inclusion: help us to strengthen our tuition loan risk-sharing facility and increase the capacity of MFIs providing education loans
Our current partners:
- elea foundation http://www.elea-foundation.org...
- xchange http://xchange.worksofheartph....
- Kickstart http://kickstart.ph/
- Ateneo de Manila/ Ateneo Center for Educational Development http://www.ateneo.edu/
- Negros Women for Tomorrow Foundation https://nwtf.org.ph/
- Julius Baer Foundation https://www.juliusbaer.com/glo...
- Zhihan Lee CEO, BagoSphere