Drive Investments to Solver Teams
Direct catalytic investments in Solve's diverse portfolio of early-stage social entrepreneurs.
Solve Innovation Future is a groundbreaking philanthropic venture fund that directs catalytic investments in early-stage social entrepreneurs solving the world's most pressing problems. Organized as a donor-advised fund (DAF) with MIT Solve serving as the donor-advisor, it will raise $30 million over time from philanthropic donors through tax-deductible gifts to MIT.
The DAF makes debt and equity investments in Solver teams selected annually through Solve’s open innovation Global Challenges. Returns from investments are reinvested into future Solver teams, creating a pay-it-forward mechanism for social entrepreneurs and a renewable philanthropic vehicle for donors.
As a first-of-its-kind dedicated venture fund structured as a DAF, Solve Innovation Future will serve as a model for other DAFs, philanthropic donors, and impact investors interested in building the field of social impact investing and unlocking more capital towards early-stage social ventures globally.
Solve Innovation Future’s first investments include three innovative Solver teams that were featured at the Investor Showcase during Virtual Solve at MIT 2020. Watch this video below to learn more.
Contact Casey van der Stricht, Principal, if you are interested in donating to Solve Innovation Future.
Check out our 2020 Annual Report
At Solve Innovation Future, we know that many founders start companies because they want to make our world a better place, yet the system of entrepreneurship today is still largely driven and built for high growth companies and fast profit generation. We recognize that as for-profit entrepreneurs seek to focus on social and environmental impact, they need to reflect on key questions to better align and balance profit and purpose.
Want to learn more? Click here for a guide to help align and balance profit and purpose.
- For-Purpose Entrepreneurship Podcast: Listen on Spotify
- MIT Solve: Press Release: MIT Solve Announces Four New Solve Innovation Future Investments in Early-Stage Social Entrepreneurs
- PENTA: Future Returns: Impact Investing Through Donor Advised Funds
- Solve White Paper: How to Invest in Social Impact Innovation
- ImpactAlpha: MIT Solve Rallies to Provide Bridge Loans and Revenue-Based Financing
- Stanford Social Innovation Review: Using Donor-Advised Funds to Invest in Early-Stage Entrepreneurs
- Fast Company: Why MIT’s Social Tech Incubator is Launching an Investment Fund
- Forbes: MIT Solve Enables Tech Entrepreneurs To Conquer Global Social Challenges
- Crunchbase: MIT Startup Announces Plans For $30M Solve Innovation Fund
Photo: Adam Schultz / MIT Solve