The developing world is rapidly urbanizing, and existing infrastructure can’t keep up. To support this growth, UNTAPPED developed a last-mile distribution platform to connect local retailers to a reliable supply of clean water and essential goods. Clean water is always in demand, making it a highly-effective anchor product and entry point to retailers.
UNTAPPED uses decentralized water treatment centers as distribution platform hubs -- regional stock points that make the final distribution leg to retailers more efficient. By integrating decentralized infrastructure with last-mile logistics and distribution, UNTAPPED increases cost-efficiency and profitability for both, resulting in clean water and healthy foods available through local retailers at 25 to 50 percent of the lowest market prices.
- Globally, 3.8 billion people don’t have regular access to clean, affordable water.
- Every $1 invested in clean water and toilets returns an average of $4 in increased productivity.
- UNTAPPED plans to serve 100 million consumers by 2030.
- Current run rate for Haiti pilot is $800,000, with profitability during 2018
- New operations in Ghana, Rwanda, and Kenya
- Recently-launched tablet-based system for managing safe water enterprises
- Continue expansion of African locations and technology deployment
- Initiate development of a large water treatment facility in partnership with investors, targeting scale-up of business model
- Primary Haiti location will maintain profitability and has secured an loan for $300,000 against on-site inventory
UNTAPPED currently partners with:
- Numerous entities around the world, including the World Bank’s IFC, IMO Bank, Leopard Bank, IO Utilities, and Danone Communities
- Potential project investment partners -- $1.5 million in equity and grants over two years, with a $600k seed round in 2018
- Water utilities or development agencies looking to expand population with access to treated water
- Additional treatment technology partners
San Francisco, CA, USA
Haiti, Kenya, Rwanda, Ghana
- Dan Nolan Untapped