Hear the Pitch
UNESCO estimates that only 36 percent of teachers are qualified in sub-Saharan Africa, resulting in an 81.6 pupil to qualified teacher ratio. Furthermore, an additional 17 million qualified teachers in sub-Saharan Africa will be needed by 2030, yet teacher training resources and teaching and learning materials are limited, and insufficient professional development hinders their success.
To better support teachers and improve student learning outcomes, Eneza Education Ghana is developing TeachMobile, a web-based and SMS platform that gives teachers access to teaching and learning materials, real-time support through chats, and training courses.
Through the platform, teachers will be able to assign homework to students and continuously assess and monitor their performance. With this data, teachers can gauge the effectiveness of their lessons and better personalize their teaching. The platform will also build a community of teachers who can interact with and support each other via SMS.
- In Ghana specifically, 5.7 percent of nursery teachers, 47 percent of kindergarten teachers, 56 percent of primary school teachers, 71 percent of junior high school teachers, and 86 percent of senior high school teachers are properly trained.
- The Ghanaian government mandates certification every two years, requiring headteachers and teachers to continuously complete professional development.
- Learners on Adsua291, Eneza’s student-facing platform score 27.7 percent higher than peers not using Eneza
- Adsua291 is used in three countries and is available in four languages
- Awards: 2019 GSBI Accelerator, Santa Clara University; 2018 GSMA Global Mobile Award; 2017 African Awards for Entrepreneurship; 2013 Global Innovation through Science and Technology; Solve Teachers & Educators Prize
- Delegate to Skoll World Forum on Social Entrepreneurship 2018
- Media: FastCompany, GSMA, BBC
Eneza Education in Ghana currently partners with:
- MTN and AirtelTigo for telecommunications support
- Aflatoun International for creation and distribution of financial literacy content for youth
In order to impact student performance and learning outcomes, Eneza Education Ghana seeks to:
- Create a vibrant community of teachers and provide them with the right tools and training through TeachMobile
- Showcase the impact of TeachMobile in Ghana and eventually expand to other countries in West Africa
- Grow subscriber base of teachers on TeachMobile and students on Adsua291
To reach the goals mentioned above, Eneza Education Ghana seeks partnerships to:
- Incorporate AI into platform to provide lesson recommendations, which will help with course selection and responding to user search queries
- Secure financial support in order to build, refine, and scale TeachMobile
- Create an excellent user experience on TeachMobile
- Effectively monitor and evaluate Eneza’s learning platforms
- Advise Eneza as it builds local tech, sales, and marketing teams
Eneza Education Ghana has reached over 1 million learners in Ghana and has over 3,000 active users.
Over 6,500 teachers have been trained using Eneza’s mobile platform.
Tools for Teachers in West Africa
Solver TeachMobile by Eneza received the $25,000 Teachers & Educators Prize in 2018 to equip teachers and school administrators with educational content and data analytics.
Tools for Teachers in West Africa
Solver TeachMobile by Eneza, which equips teachers and school administrators with educational content and data analytics, received a $10,000 grant from Solve in 2018 for being selected as a Teachers & Educators Solver.