Marginalized children around the world face great obstacles to receiving a quality education. Yet we live in an era where skills and employment resources are more abundant than ever. To fill this gap, The Rumie Initiative collects and curates locally-relevant and context-appropriate job skills content from the internet, and sorts and organizes it on its LearnCloud. Rumie now seeks to expand access to these resources with a new LearnCloud Android app.
In partnership with Roshan Telecom, Rumie is testing the app with Roshan employees in Afghanistan. The pilot project’s objectives are to gain the user feedback needed to enhance the app’s user experience and to better understand Afghanistan’s operational environment. These insights will enable Rumie to increase the LearnCloud app’s accessibility to the larger Afghan market and Roshan’s audience of 6.5 million active subscribers.
- Globally, more than 100 million youth are currently out of primary and lower secondary school.
- By 2020, smartphones will connect six billion adults on the planet, enabling those once disconnected to access the vast range of learning materials available online.
- Winner of Google.org Impact Challenge, 2017
- Winner of US Library of Congress Literacy Award, 2016
- Winner of Ryerson University Social Venture Pitch Competition, 2016
- Y Combinator Accelerator, 2016
- Named World’s Best Social Startup, Global Entrepreneurship Week, 2014
- Recipient of Atlassian Foundation “10 in 10” Partnership Prize
- Recipient of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) Indo-Pacific Development Prize
- Drive youth employment program to increase opportunities and gather data on the effectiveness of educational initiatives
The Rumie Initiative’s current partners include:
- Imagine K12 (Y Combinator)
- Boston Consulting Group
- Junior Achievement
The Rumie Initiative seeks:
- Innovative foundations and corporations as funding partners
- Hardware partner to provide or subsidize tablet hardware
- Kyle Lubieniecki Product Lead, The Rumie Initiative