One-line solution summary:
A mouth guard face mask that covers only the mouth and nose of the user and use the teeth as a support structure,
Pitch your solution.
This project is about building a mouth guard face mask that covers only the mouth and nose of the user and use the teeth as a support structure
What specific problem are you solving?
The recent COVID-19 crisis has made us be familiar with face masks and made it an essential product that is needed to sustain our lives equal to food and water or clothing. This is because it is the first line of defense against respiratory diseases like COVID-19 by providing a filtration system of the air we breathe preventing us from getting infected and transmitting our infectious virus. But using this product comes with many problems which includes;
- Physical discomfort with use, particularly in hot and humid environments.
- Contact dermatitis with extended wear.
- Inability to effectively communicate with others using facial expressions.
- Speech intelligibility.
- Fogging of eyeglasses during use.
- Difficulty finding a device that is the proper size and many others.
These problems has made it difficult for people to use them at all time and for the future it is essential to design new kind of face mask that solves all these problems.
What is your solution?
Anteneh’s mask has a one side mouth guard that is mounted only at the bottom part of the teeth just like a brace for anchor to provide support structure. Attached to the front part of the mouth guard, there is hallow cylindrical structure that is used for air entrance and exit for mouth breathing. At the front part of the hallow cylinder there is a curved flat structure that act as a cover for the lips and the area around the lips to provide cover protection from air entering and exiting except through the hallow cylindrical structure while breathing. At the top of the curved flat structure there are two closely fixed cylindrical hallow structures that are used for breathing through the nose. These two hallow cylinders are inserted in to the nose of the user. This will enables the user breath only through the three holes. The three holes have detachable small air filters made from the standard surgical masks. These air filters have structures that made to be perfectly fit the device. These air filters have structures that made to be perfectly fit the device. All the user needs to do it switch the filters on regular basis.
Who does your solution serve, and in what ways will the solution impact their lives?
The main features this face mask provide are very critical for solving the problem of the current mask. The following points indicates what the product offers to the end users when using it.
- The product will be very efficient because no air will enter in to the mouth and nose except the holes that are design for filtration only.
- It also solves the discomfort generated by face masks in hot and humid environment.
- There will not be any contact dermatitis from extended mask wear
- There will not be any problem on communication through facial expression because this mask only covers small part of your face
- While wearing the mouth guard that is only attached to the lower part of the teeth just like a brace, you will not have any problem talking because your lips are free and there is no sound barrier all over your face.
- There will be any fogging of eyeglasses during use because the exhaling air will not be directed in to the eye glasses.
- There will not be any problem concerning the device size because it will be made in different models according to our general structures that are used to classify our body.
Note that once the end users purchase the product, the filtrations are sold sparely just like a refill technology.
This product is very easy to mass produce with no assemble need. It can be mass produced though mold system that is known to have a low cost production method.
Which dimension of the Challenge does your solution most closely address?Equip last-mile primary healthcare providers with the necessary tools and knowledge to detect disease outbreaks quickly and respond to them effectively.
Explain how the problem you are addressing, the solution you have designed, and the population you are serving align with the Challenge.
To be addressed.
In what city, town, or region is your solution team headquartered?Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
What is your solution’s stage of development?Prototype: A venture or organization building and testing its product, service, or business model.
Explain why you selected this stage of development for your solution.
To be addressed
Who is the Team Lead for your solution?
Which of the following categories best describes your solution?A new application of an existing technology
Please select the technologies currently used in your solution:
Select the key characteristics of your target population.
Which of the UN Sustainable Development Goals does your solution address?
In which countries do you currently operate?
In which countries will you be operating within the next year?
What type of organization is your solution team?
For-profit, including B-Corp or similar models
How are you and your team well-positioned to deliver this solution?
I have dedicated my life for invention and research because not only I have big dreams but also it is my only way out of poverty. We all have a talent we know or did not find out yet. Mine happens to be inventing. So, until now I have invented more than 70 inventions.
You can find some of my inventions via
https://hackaday.io/projects/hacker/856765 https://contest.techbriefs.com/profile?user=89682 https://www.herox.com/crowdsourcing-community/antenehgashaw-123126 https://desall.com/User/AntenehGashaw/Portfolio https://challenges.openideo.com/profiles/antenh.g/contributions#recent-contributions
My latest big international honors are
- Winner of Mechanical maker challenge by NASA/ JPL- 2019 with my design invention “Mechanical eye”
- Finalist in the TIC AMERICAS 2020 contest with my project “Caribbean Sargassum Problem”
- Finalist in TKF plastic innovation challenge 2019 with my invention “Smart green washer”
- Top 100 inventions of 2019 by create the future contest by tech briefs with my project “Cone solar panel”
- Top 10 winner of TIA challenge 2019 with my multiple unique solutions and invention
- Finalist in Enel challenge on MV & LV distribution challenge 2019 with my invention “Turbine for avoiding birds in MV & LV distribution lines”
- In the saving the Ohi’a challenge (https://conservationx.com/challenge/invasives/ohia), I submitted more than 30 possible solution which you can see via https://conservationx.com/challenge/invasives/ohia/projects
- I have developed more that 20 inventions for solution, management and prevention of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) which you can see via https://solve.mit.edu/challenges/health-security-pandemics/solutions/22229 or https://contest.techbriefs.com/profile?user=89682
- In 2020 I have invented more than 15 technologies related to increasing efficiency of energy generation, transmission and utilization through a clean environmentally friendly way which you can see via https://hackaday.io/projects/hacker/856765
In which of the following areas do you most need partners or support?
Do you qualify for and would you like to be considered for the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Prize? If you select Yes, explain how you are qualified for the prize in the additional question that appears.
Yes, I wish to apply for this prize
Do you qualify for and would you like to be considered for The Andan Prize for Innovation in Refugee Inclusion? If you select Yes, explain how you are qualified for the prize in the additional question that appears.
Yes, I wish to apply for this prize
Do you qualify for and would you like to be considered for the Innovation for Women Prize? If you select Yes, explain how you are qualified for the prize in the additional question that appears.
Yes, I wish to apply for this prize
- Mr. Anteneh Gashaw Anteneh Engineering